What inspired the author to create a vegan version of moussaka, and how does it differ from the traditional recipe?
Inspired by the classic Greek dish, this vegan moussaka is made with layers of roasted eggplant, creamy cashew sauce, and a savory lentil filling. It’s a hearty and flavorful meal that’s perfect for a cozy dinner at home.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, cooked
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cashew sauce:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place eggplant slices on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add the cooked lentils, tomato paste, red wine, parsley, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes until heated through.
- To make the cashew sauce, blend all the ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Assemble the moussaka in a baking dish, starting with a layer of eggplant, then the lentil filling, and a layer of the cashew sauce. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up.
- Bake in the oven at 375F for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Let the moussaka cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Notes and Tips
If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can soak the cashews in boiling water for an hour and then blend them.
This recipe yields a lot of moussaka, so feel free to freeze any leftovers for later.