Ingredients: 1/2 cup sugar,1/2 cup butter, room temperature,3 large ripe bananas, mashed,2 eggs, room temperature,1/2 cup buttermilk,1/2 teaspoon soda,1/2 teaspoon baking powder,2 cups flour,3/4 cup granulated sugar,3/4 cup brown sugar,1/2 cup cream,1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.** Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- Cream butter, sugar, and bananas together (I used a paddle attachment on my mixer); add eggs one at a time.
- Dissolve the soda in the buttermilk and blend into the butter-sugar-egg mixture.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and add gradually, with the mixer on low.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a tester comes out clean. I know youre impatient, but let the cake cool before unmoulding or itll fall apart when youre removing it from the bundt pan.
- Make the icing while the cake cools: Cook sugar and cream together until it forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water, remove from stove, add butter, and beat well before spreading on cake.
- To caramelize bananas for decoration: Slice a banana. Melt a pat of butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat and mix a couple of tablespoons brown sugar in with a spatula.
- Add the bananas and cook for a minute or two on each side, until a tiny bit brown.