Chicken Gnocchi in a Creamy Lemon and Caper Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes Servings: 6
Chicken and gnocchi (aka potato dumplings) in a creamy lemon, butter and caper sauce!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts (or thighs), cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 pound gnocchi
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 4 cup baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, add the chicken and cook until lightly golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as the broth sizzles.
- Add the remaining broth, the capers and gnocchi, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, parmesan, and baby spinach and cook until the cheese has melted and the spinach has wilted, about a minute.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes with the garlic for some heat.
Option: Use cooked and shredded or sliced chicken such as rotisserie chicken, skip cooking the chicken in step 1, and add it along with the gnocchi.
Option: Add 1-2 tablespoons white miso paste just before removing from the heat.