Frito Snack Mix is a salty/sweet masterpiece! It might sound crazy, but coating Fritos in a sweet caramel sauce and then baking it is just about the best thing to do with a Frito since the Frito Pie was invented!
Love Fritos? Make sure to try out my Frito Pie Casserole for dinner!
Frito Snack Mix Is The Ultimate Salty/Sweet Treat!
I am obsessed with snack mixes…give me any bowl of a salty/sweet combo and it doesn’t stand a chance.
This snack mix is incredibly easy to make! You might wonder how Fritos worked their way into a sweet snack, but the sweet caramel coating on the salty corn chip is really, REALLY delicious.
This is one of those snacks that will sit in a bowl in front of you and an hour later is completely gone! It’s perfect for parties, gift-giving, tailgating…or any occasion. AND it will definitely make an impression on people…be prepared to share the recipe!
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Pretzel Twists
- Nuts. Pecans or cashews are my favorite!
- Light brown sugar
- Light corn syrup
The Easy Steps To Make This Snack Mix:
- Combine the Fritos, Chex, Pretzels and nuts in a large bowl and set aside.
- Caramel: In a small saucepan melt sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium heat. Let mixture come to a boil and then boil for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and pour over Frito mixture in the bowl. Stir it carefully, but evenly to make sure it’s all coated.
- Transfer the mixture into a large roasting pan, or sheet pan. Bake it for 8 minutes and then remove it to stir, then bake for another 8 minutes.
- Spread wax or parchment paper onto your counter and then spread the mixture out on that to cool, breaking any large clumps.
- Sprinkle M&Ms on top when the mixture is warm but not hot so the M&Ms stick to the caramel.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Other Add-In Ideas:
The great thing about snack mixes is that you can really get creative with your mix-ins. Here are some fun ideas of things to add:
- Peanut M&Ms. Omit the nuts in the recipe and use these!
- Chopped Peanut Butter Cups
- Any other type of cereal you prefer.
- Peanut Butter filled pretzel nuggets