These soft Fluffernutter cookies are filled with gooey marshmallow fluff that peeks out as they are baked, creating a pretty, cracked top. This peanut butter cookie recipe is over the top!
Make sure to try my Peanut Butter Blossoms too! They are the absolute best version of that popular cookie!
Fluffernutter Cookies Are A Spin On the Popular Sandwich!
I will say that a Fluffernutter sandwich is definitely a special treat type of snack. Basically a dessert sandwich, if you will. I took all the flavors of that gooey sandwich and developed an ooey, gooey peanut butter marshmallow cookie that both kids and adults will love!
What Is A Fluffernutter?
For those of you who might not be familiar, a Fluffernutter sandwich is a peanut butter and marshmallow cream (Fluff) sandwich on bread…typically white bread. Yes, it’s lacking on any nutritional value, but it’s a fun treat to have every now and then. Of course there are lots of variations…say, adding some banana slices (yum), but at it’s heart, it’s a peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich! And I just knew a cookie version would be delicious!
Ingredients For Fluffernutter Cookies
I used the base recipe here from my recipe for my soft peanut butter cookies (which are absolutely fantastic) and turned them into an over the top stuffed cookie!
- Butter at room temperature
- Creamy peanut butter
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- All purpose flour
- Peanut butter chips – you could even use chocolate chips!
- Marshmallow Cream/Marshmallow Fluff
Steps To Make Fluffernutter Cookies
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat and set this aside.
- Add the butter and peanut butter into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute, or until smooth and combined. Add both kinds of sugars and with the mixer still on medium beat the mixture for 2 minutes until pale in color and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in the egg and vanilla and continue mixing for 30 more seconds until combined and smooth.
- Next, add in the cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix for an additional few seconds until combined.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until the dough comes together. Stir in the peanut butter chips evenly.
- Using a medium (2- tablespoons) cookie scoop, portion out the dough. Flatten the scoop of dough into a disk. Scoop out 1 tablespoon of marshmallow cream. I like to do this with a small scoop, but you can also use a measuring spoon. Place the marshmallow cream into the center of the dough and form the dough around the marshmallow. This can get a little messy, but if you flatten the dough enough, you can easily form it around the marshmallow. Place onto your prepared baking sheet 3- inches apart. The cookies wil spread as they bake.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes until they are golden at the edges.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.