This is the best Green Bean Salad Recipe! It’s filled with tomatoes, Parmesan, fresh basil, and a little bit of red onion. I top it off with a zesty homemade dressing and it’s the most perfect side dish for summertime.
Whenever I can get my hands on fresh green beans from the garden or farmers market, I make this Fresh Green Bean Salad. It’s a really quick side dish that goes well with any summer meal. And sometimes it is my meal, with a side of watermelon of course:) Summer perfection!
I love how the short cook time keeps the green beans crispy. This salad is bursting with fresh flavor and nutrition! It’s always a hit at group dinners and even my kids love it. My Green Bean Salad will become your new go-to summer side dish!
- Fresh green beans– trim the ends.
- Grape tomatoes– Cut the tomatoes in half. You can also use cherry tomatoes.
- Parmesan cheese– shredded, use the good stuff!
- Fresh basil– my favorite herb!
- Red onion– for flavor and a pop of color!
- Lemon dressing– you can whisk this up in no time!
How to Blanch Green Beans
The green beans only need a couple minutes of cooking to become just perfect for this salad!
- Start with a large pot of salted water, brought to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for just 2 to 3 minutes. The green beans should be tender but still crisp. Be careful not to overcook them–you don’t want soggy green beans in your salad!
- Drain the green beans and put them in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Let them rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Drain them well and pat dry with a clean towel.
How to Make Green Bean Salad
After the green beans are drained, it’s time to assemble the salad!
- In a large bowl, add the prepared green beans, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil, and red onion.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. So easy!
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and gently toss it with tongs.
- You can serve immediately, but I think the salad is even better after it sits for for 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator. The flavors all hangout and become friends:)
This salad goes well with so many different delicious main dishes! Here are some of our favorites!
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon golden balsamic vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until green beans are tender but still crisp. Don’t overcook.
Drain the green beans and put in a large bowl of ice water. Let them sit in the ice bat for 5 minutes. Drain well, pat dry and place the beans on a large platter or in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil, and red onion. Gently toss with tongs.
Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
Drizzle the dressing over the green bean salad and gently toss. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. You can serve immediately, but I recommend chilling for 30 minutes to an hour, so the flavors have time to marinate.
Green Bean Salad
Amount Per Serving
Calories 134 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g10%
Vitamin A 1033IU21%
Vitamin C 20mg24%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Photos by Dishing Out Health
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.