Healthy Rice Krispie Treats made with peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup and brown rice krispies. These vegan and gluten free treats are topped with dark chocolate and sea salt for an indulgent treat that tastes just like a crunchy peanut butter cup. Options to add a bit of protein powder to make these a great post workout treat!
Sometimes the best kind of treats are the ones you haven’t made in FOREVER. That includes the very famous rice krispie treats that were always in lunch boxes and at your aunt’s house during family birthday parties.
Man, I loved those sweet little marshmallow pull apart oozy-gooey sticky bars more than anything. One time I ate so many individual treats out of those bright blue wrappers that I had a stomach ache for two days straight. I also remember eating the rice krispie treat cereal straight from the cereal box. Handfuls upon handfuls, and another stomach ache later I was sure I was done with rice krispie treats for GOOD.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Years later at a friend’s house, I discovered something known as ‘Special K’ bars. Basically these bars were a combination of butter, peanut butter, butterscotch and Special K cereal in a bar, then and topped with melted (and harded) semi sweet chocolate + butterscotch chips. These too, became another favorite treat I could eat without any control. #oops #savage
Now that I’m into full blown adulthood (and a food blogger!) I’ve LOVED bringing you my favorite childhood meals & desserts with healthy, simple twists. It’s a great way to still enjoy your favorite foods, but also make more nutritious choices.
So what are these healthy peanut butter rice krispie treats exactly? A combination of a rice krispie treat and a special k bar. There’s no refined sugar or marshmallows involved and the bars are made with only 6 ingredients (or 7 if you make them with a little protein powder!):
Peanut butter (or use cashew or almond butter)
Virgin coconut oil (or sub melted butter or vegan butter)
Pure maple syrup (or sub honey, brown rice syrup or coconut syrup)
Rice Krispies or Brown Rice Krispies
Dark Chocolate bar. I love Divine dark chocolate. It’s literally the BEST dark chocolate ever. Alter Eco and Theo are two other favorites.
To be honest, these are one of my new FAVORITE no bake treats EVER. They’re so easy to make, ready in less than 30 minutes and taste like a combination between a peanut butter cup and a rice krispie treat. I had a few people over after I made these and they were completely gone before the night was over.
P.S. Don’t forget to sprinkle them with a little sea salt for a sweet and salty treat!
If you try this recipe, be sure to rate it below and let me know how you liked it. And of course, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creations. xo!
Healthy Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serving size: 1 bar
- Calories: 176
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9g
- Sugar: 5.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 6g
Recipe type: Bars, Gluten Free, Vegan
- For the treats:
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt (if your peanut butter isn’t already salted)
- Optional: ½ cup Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 2 1/2-3 cups crispy brown rice cereal (or rice krispies)
- For the chocolate topping:
- 3.5 oz 85% dark chocolate bar, broken up into pieces
- To garnish:
- Fancy sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place a medium pot over low heat and add in peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and well combined, about 1 minute. Next add in the protein powder (optional) and crispy brown rice cereal; stir until combined and cereal is completely coated. Pour into prepared pan, and use a spatula to flatten the top so it is even.
- Next make the chocolate topping by adding chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring in-between, until chocolate is completely melted. You can also melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat if you prefer. Pour melted chocolate over the bars and tilt your pan to spread out the chocolate evenly. Place pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until bars are completely cool and chocolate is melted. Sprinkle bars with fancy sea salt, then cut into 16 bars. Enjoy!
- Bars should be kept covered in the fridge and will stay good for up to 1 week. Take bars out 10 minutes before you are ready to serve to ensure they aren’t too crunchy! They soften up at room temp.
Instead of coconut oil, you may use butter or vegan butter.
Feel free to use honey, brown rice syrup or coconut syrup instead of maple syrup.