Lemon Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting are bursting with lemon flavor and the perfect use for your summer zucchini! Everyone loves these easy zucchini bars!
Lemon Zucchini Bars
These bars have two summer baking staples in one: lemon AND zucchini. It’s a great way to use up extra zucchini and it’s bursting with bright lemon flavor in both the bar AND the lemon cream cheese frosting! If you like my lemon zucchini bread, I know you will LOVE these zucchini bars. They are such a treat!
You won’t want to share these zucchini bars, but if you are feeling generous, they’re perfect for cutting into squares and sharing. This recipe does make a big pan, so you can still enjoy a few bars and share with your friends and family. They will thank you because these are the BEST zucchini bars!
Baking with Zucchini
Zucchini is amazing to bake with. It adds vitamins and wonderful texture to your favorite recipes. It’s also high in moisture, so it’s important to be careful so you don’t spoil a delicious recipe! A few tips for baking with zucchini:
- No need to peel it! It just causes extra unnecessary work. The peel is just fine to incorporate into your recipe!
- Don’t squeeze it unless the recipe your following suggests it. For these bars, I don’t squeeze out the zucchini. You want the moisture. If you have a super large zucchini and it is extremely watery, you can squeeze it out a little, but don’t squeeze out all of the moisture.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini and it will immediately moisten up the batter!
What Size Pan Do I Use?
This recipe is perfect for feeding a crowd, bringing to a potluck, or offering at a bake sale! It bakes in a 10×15-inch sheet pan or for slightly thicker bars (yum!), try a 9×13-inch pan. I have used both pans and they both work great. FYI-the bars you see in the photos were baked in a 9×13 pan.
How to Make Lemon Zucchini Bars
It couldn’t be simpler. You’ll want to bake these on repeat all summer long!
- Prep: Preheat your oven to 350 and grease your pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dry ingredients: whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt
- Wet ingredients: combine the sugar and lemon in a large mixing bowl. Rub it together with your fingers until fragrant. Add in oil, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla, then whisk until smooth. It should smell AMAZING and lemony in this step!
- Stir: Use a spatula or big spoon to stir in the grated zucchini.
- Combine: Now add the dry ingredients, stirring until they’re just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Bake: Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes, until the bars are set. Don’t over bake, and let them cool completely.
How to make Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Since the bars need to cool completely, you don’t even need to worry about the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting until the bars come out of the oven. Just set cream cheese and butter out ahead of time so they’re room temperature when it’s time to make frosting!
- You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer to make the frosting. Beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth and no lumps remain, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, then add 3 cups powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt.
- Once the sugar begins to incorporate, increase the mixer to high speed and beat for 2 minutes or until smooth. If the frosting is too thin, you can add more powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
How to Store the Bars
After you frost the bars, you can cut them into squares and serve. If you have leftovers, you can cover them with the lid of your pan, if it has one, or cover with plastic wrap or foil after the frosting sets up a bit.
You can store the bars on the counter but if it is hot in your house in the summertime, I like to keep them in the refrigerator. Let the bars come to room temperature before serving…but I like them cold too:) The bars will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge.
More Zucchini Recipes:
If you’ve got tons of zucchini on hand and want to keep baking, here are some great recipes to enjoy!
For the Bars:
- Zest of 2 lemons
(grapeseed, canola, or vegetable)
For the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
block cream cheese,
at room temperature
at room temperature
3 to 4
Lemon Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12g
Saturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 53g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Photos by Dishing Out Health