Ingredients: 2 tablespoons butter,1 cup chopped yellow onion,1 pound large carrots, peeled, cut in ½- inch dice (about 2 ⅔ cups),2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock*,1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds,1 tablespoon honey,1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice,1/8 teaspoon allspice,Salt and pepper,1/2 cup sour cream, crème fraishe, or plain yogurt, optional for garnish
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; saute for 2 minutes.
- Mix in carrots and broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 4 5 minutes. Finely grind in a spice mill.
- Remove soup from heat. Puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to sauce pan.
- Whisk in honey, lemon juice and allspice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowl.
- Sprinkle with toasted cumin, or mix cumin and sour cream in a small bowl and dollop on top.