Chicken, prunes, olives, carrots, onions, garlic and ginger are slow-cooked with Moroccan spices to create a flavorful and fragrant dish that you’ll want to make again and again. Serve it over whole-wheat couscous (or cauliflower rice for a low-carb option) with lemon wedges, fresh cilantro, or some chopped pistachios or almonds for a complete meal.
Happy Holidays! I’m Heather K. Jones. I’m a dietitian, a wellness coach, and a nutrition consultant for Skinnytaste, and I’m so honored and thrilled to be a guest here again (thank you, Gina!).
My fiancé and I first discovered this deeeeeeelicoius dish in Fez Morocco over 10 year ago. The owner of the restaurant was kind enough to share the recipe with us, and over a decade later we still cook it on a regular basis—it’s just that good! I hope you love this dish as much as I do!
I’m also excited to invite you to join my FREE 31-day Holiday Self Care Program, starting December 1st!
During this hectic time of year I know it’s easy to fall into unhealthy patters, and to deprive, or binge, or to get anxious and frustrated with yourself about weight, food or your body for whatever reason. But this year you can bring a lot more consciousness and self-kindness to the holidays—and it takes less than five minutes a day.
Click right here to join the Holiday Self Care Program now. If you struggle with holiday anxiety, emotional eating, or body image issues, this free program is definitely for you. Learning how to manage stress is the greatest gift you can give yourself this holiday season.
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken & Olive Tagine
Chicken, prunes, olives, carrots, onions, garlic and ginger are slow-cooked with Moroccan spices to create a flavorful and fragrant dish that you’ll want to make again and again.
- 2 pounds (8) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried prunes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or ap gf flour)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the chicken, carrots, onion, prunes, olives, garlic, flour, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with and cilantro or nuts (optional) and serve with lemon wedges.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 2 thighs with sauce and vegetables
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 8
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 399
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 216mg
- Sodium: 843mg
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 10g
- Protein: 46g