My all-time favorite guacamole recipe is quick and easy to make, naturally gluten-free and vegan, and always the hit of a party.
Grab those ripe avocados, because today we’re talking about my all-time favorite easy guacamole recipe! ♡
I have made this guacamole literally hundreds and hundreds of times over the years, and my friends and family always rave about it. It’s made with all of the usual fresh ingredients you would find in a classic guacamole recipe, plus a dash of ground cumin, which I’m convinced rounds all of the flavors out perfectly. But the thing I love most about this guacamole recipe is that the ingredients are all perfectly balanced. It’s not too spicy, not too citrus-y, and it’s perfectly salted so that the avocados remain the stars of the show. (As they always should be a well-made batch of guac!)
Of course, there are a million ways to use put this guacamole recipe to delicious use as well. It’s perfect for spreading on toast and burgers, topping your tacos and nachos, loading up your baked potatoes and deviled eggs, filling your quesadillas and wraps, and serving alongside any number of Mexican dishes. But about 99% of the time, we just serve it up with a big bowl of tortilla chips (plus maybe some homemade salsa and a round of margaritas). And I’m telling you — this guacamole recipe is always, always a winner.
Let’s guac and roll!
The Best Guacamole Recipe | 1-Minute Video
To make this easy guacamole recipe, gather up the following guacamole ingredients:
- Avocados: The riper, the better.
- Diced red onion: I love the flavor of red onion in guac, but if you would like to make it a bit milder, just rinse and drain the chopped onion in water briefly before adding it to the avocados.
- Cilantro: If you happen to be part of the 14% of the population that doesn’t like fresh cilantro, just skip it.
- Jalapeño: Or you can use serrano pepper instead.
- Lime juice: Freshly-squeezed, please!
- Fine sea salt: A critical ingredient to bring out all of those good flavors!
- Ground cumin: I’ve always added a dash to my guacamole, and I’m convinced it’s the secret ingredient that rounds out all of those flavors and makes people love it so much.
- Diced tomatoes: I’m not a big fan of tomatoes in my guac, but feel free to add them if you would like!
How To Make Guacamole:
Alright, let’s talk how to make guacamole! Simply…
- Mash your avocados: Add them to a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork or spoon until they reach your desired consistency. (I like mine slightly chunky, not completely smooth.)
- Mix in the remaining ingredients: Add in the onion, cilantro, jalapeño (or serrano), lime juice, salt, cumin, and tomatoes (if using) and stir until combined.
- Taste and season: Give the mixture a taste, and season with extra salt if needed. Or…
- For a tangier guac, add more lime juice.
- For a spicier guac, add in another jalapeño or serrano. (Or you can include the seeds for extra heat.)
- For a herbier guac, add in extra fresh cilantro.
- Serve: Then serve it up and enjoy!!
Feel like customizing your own guacamole recipe? There are tons of fun ingredients you can add in, such as:
- Fruit: such as mango, pineapple, pomegranate, berries, apple, peaches, grapes, you name it!
- Chopped nuts: such as pepitas, toasted almonds, cashews, etc.
- Cheese: any soft cheeses such as feta, goat, blue cheese or queso fresco are delicious
- Additional seasonings: I love adding everything bagel seasoning to my guac
- Greek yogurt or sour cream: if you’d like creamier guacamole
- Chopped chipotle in adobo: if you’d like a smokier guac
- Bacon or chorizo: because…yum
How To Store Guacamole
This guacamole recipe actually keeps really well in the refrigerator if stored properly! To store it, simply transfer your guac to an airtight container. Then place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the guac, and press it down with your fingers so that the plastic wrap is covering the entire surface area of the guac (keeping the air out, which will help prevent browning). Then just cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Yield: 6-8 servings
This is my all-time favorite guacamole recipe! It’s quick and easy to make, and always the hit of a party.
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 jalapeño, cored and finely diced (add more or less to taste)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- (Optional: 1 roma tomato, cored and chopped)
- Mash together avocados, jalapeno, onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt, cumin with a fork until well-mixed. (If adding tomatoes, stir them in at the very end.)
- Serve immediately, or cover the bowl with plastic wrap (so that the plastic is literally touching the entire top layer of the guacamole) and refrigerate for up to 2 days before serving.
All images and text ©
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven. I’d love to see what you cook!