Apple Zucchini Muffins-these healthy whole wheat zucchini muffins are easy to make, popular with kids and adults and use up that summer zucchini! They freeze well too!
Caleb makes muffins almost every day. Pretend muffins that is. He gets out his whisk and bowl and whips up endless batches of muffins. I have sampled them all and they are really good! He is the muffin man:)
Occasionally, I will help Caleb and we will make real muffins. We recently made these Zucchini Muffins and they were fantastic! We had a blast making and eating them. I think Caleb really loved the eating part. He usually doesn’t get to eat his muffins…only in his pretend world:)
How to Make Healthy Zucchini Muffins
I wanted the muffins to be on the somewhat healthy side so we used whole wheat flour, applesauce, and zucchini. The applesauce and zucchini keep the muffins super moist without adding fat. There is a little bit of oil, but not much.
The muffins also have cinnamon, allspice, and chunks of apples. Before baking, we sprinkled the muffins with cinnamon and sugar, which gave the muffins a sweet and pretty crust! Caleb loved helping with this part, my floor didn’t:) Oh, well. We swept up our mess!
Kid-Approved Apple Zucchini Muffins
Caleb wanted to make blueberry gummy bear muffins. He is a creative kid! But luckily, I convinced him to go with these delicious Apple Zucchini Muffins. I really think these zucchini muffins are my new favorite and the boys love them too!
The zucchini muffins freeze beautifully! I love pulling these healthy zucchini muffins out for breakfast or a good snack! They are a great grab and go breakfast or snack.
Caleb, the muffin man, gives these Apple Zucchini Muffins two thumbs up and I think you will love them too! Maybe we will try blueberry gummy bear muffins next time…when we are making pretend muffins:)
Watch How to Make Zucchini Muffins
Check out this step-by-step video on I make these yummy zucchini muffins!
Looking for more zucchini recipes? Check out our favorite zucchini recipes here. You might also like these recipes:
Apple Zucchini Muffins
You get your fruits and veggies in these delicious little muffins! Kids and adults love these healthy muffins!
Yield: 15 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the Muffins:
- 2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon oil (melted coconut oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grated apple (I use Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini, moisture slightly squeezed out
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple (I use Granny Smith)
For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and all-spice. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Do not over mix. Gently stir in the grated apple, zucchini, and chopped apples.
- To make the topping, combine turbinado sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir well.
- Fill the prepared muffin pan with muffin batter, filling each cup about 3/4 the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with cinnamon sugar topping. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool to room temperature and serve.
Note-these muffins freeze well.
All images and text © .
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!