Coconut Macaroons-chewy on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside, these macaroons are perfection! They are bursting with coconut flavor and SO good dipped in chocolate. Bonus, they are gluten-free too!
If you like coconut, you are in for a real treat! These Coconut Macaroons are the ultimate coconut dessert, a true classic! We love making these coconut cookies for Passover, Easter, Christmas…really anytime of the year.
The macaroons are soft and chewy on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside, just like a macaroon should be! They are good on their own, but I recommend adding a chocolate to the mix! Give them a little dunk in chocolate and a sweet drizzle and you will be in macaroon heaven!
What is the difference between Macarons and Macaroons?
Macarons and Macaroons are very different treats! Yes, they are spelled almost the same, but that is the only thing they have in common.
- MACARON: this is a meringue-based cookie. They’re small, round, and come in different colors with a ganache or buttercream frosting. Macarons are pretty difficult to make and require lots of patience! It’s pronounced mack-ah-ROHN, rhyming with prawn.
- MACAROON: this is what we’re making today! It’s a coconut-based cookie that comes together in just a couple minutes. Anyone can make tasty macaroons! This one is pronounces mack-a-ROON, rhyming with spoon.
One of the many perks of these yummy coconut macaroons is that they’re gluten-free. No fancy substitutions needed, that’s just the way they’re made! So if you know someone who’s avoiding gluten, this is the recipe for them. And BONUS if they love coconut! They are also the perfect treat for Passover because their is no flour involved.
Coconut Macaroon Ingredients
For such a tasty treat, this is a surprisingly short ingredient list! It’s also mostly pantry staples. I love it when that happens!
- Sweetened condensed milk
- One egg white
- Vanilla extract
- Sweetened coconut flakes
- Chocolate for dipping (use the highest quality chocolate you can–it makes a difference! We LOVE dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate with these macaroons)
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
These cookies are super easy to make! The dough is gooey, and not like your typical cookie dough though. Just a heads up:)
- Get all prepped by preheating your oven (325 degrees F) and lining two baking sheets with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper.
- I like to use a large mixing bowl because this dough is so sticky, I don’t want it spilling over! Combine the sweetened condensed milk, egg white, vanilla, and salt and give it a good mix. Add the coconut in last.
- Start scooping out dough! You’ll want each macaroon to have about 2 tablespoons of dough, and give them 2 inches in between one another on the pan.
- Use your hands to form them into mounds with a peak at the top. This is sticky, sticky business. You may need to wash or rinse your hands in between forming cookies!
- Bake the macaroons until they turn a golden brown. I love the smell of toasted coconut, so these are like heaven in my oven!
- Let the cookies cool until they’re firm and set on the baking sheet. This will only take about 5 minutes, and then you can move them onto a cooling rack.
- Now the chocolate! Melt the chocolate chunks or chips in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 20 seconds until it’s smooth and melted. You could also do this using a double broiler on the stove.
- Use a large sheet of parchment paper to keep things from sticking. Dip the macaroons into the chocolate until just the bottoms are covered, then set them onto the parchment paper to dry.
- If you have extra chocolate, drizzle it over the tops of the cookies!
- Once the chocolate is set up, enjoy your delicious Coconut Macaroons!
How to Store
Place coconut macaroons in an air tight container and store on the counter for up to one week. You can also freeze the cookies in a freezer container for up to 3 months.
More Coconut Cookie Recipes
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 12 ounces chopped chocolate, for dipping cookies
Coconut Macaroons Dipped in Chocolate
Amount Per Serving
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Vitamin A 40IU1%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Photos by Molly