Corn and Jalapeno Chowder
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Servings: 6
A creamy chowder with corn, jalapenos and potatoes!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced/grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup flour (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups corn
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onion and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until the flour starts to turn a light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the corn and jalapeno and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, mix in the cilantro and enjoy!
Option: Use 1/2 cup sour cream instead of the heavy cream.
Option: Use 4 ounces cream cheese instead of the heavy cream.
Option: Add 4 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded and meted into the chowder.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
Option: Garish with one or more of: bacon, cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese, chives, green onions, etc.