- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 medium peeled or unpeeled potatoes, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 2-quart casserole with shortening or cooking spray.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Spread potatoes in casserole. Pour sauce over potatoes. Cut remaining 1 tablespoon butter into small pieces; sprinkle over potatoes.
- Cover; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving (sauce thickens as it stands).
This photo is copyright protected