With only 5 ingredients, this Cake Mix Brownies recipe is the easiest brownies recipe ever! It’s the perfect excuse to make fudgy brownies all the time!.
Love ooey-gooey fudgy brownies? Try my Bombshell Oreo Brownies next!
My Easiest Ever Cake Mix Brownies
Brownies are easily one of most popular desserts in my house…and the fudgier the better. I have a really great recipe for *from scratch fudgy brownies here on my site already, which are absolutely fantastic, but sometimes you just want a shortcut!
These cake mix brownies are one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever make. I know, you’re probably thinking, “Cake mix? Why not just use a brownie mix?” Sure, you could. I mean my Cake Mix Cookies recipe is one of the most popular recipes here on my website! But this is a recipe when that chocolate craving hits and you might not have a brownie mix in your pantry! AND I do have to say, cake mix brownies are different in the way that they are SUPER fudgy! The moist, gooey chocolatey chew that comes with making brownies from chocolate cake mix is super unique!
When it comes to a quick dessert to make for potlucks, cookouts, or just because, you really can’t go wrong with a batch of these ridiculously rich, chocolatey, (almost) from-scratch homemade brownies.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
So, why make brownies with a boxed chocolate cake mix?
- So easy. This cake mix recipe cuts the ingredients list for normal brownies in half. It takes just 2 steps and you’ll have perfect brownies ready in no time.
- Super fudgy. Chocolate cake mix and adds another dimension of soft, gooey texture to these unbelievably moist and chocolatey brownies. They’re also filled with chocolate chunks!
- Crowd-pleasing. I take these brownies everywhere, and they’re always gone from the plate in minutes. It’s 100% the last-minute dessert you need in your life!
What You’ll Need
The batter for these brownies is super simple. Just 5 ingredients, including your chocolate cake mix. And those ginormous chunks of chocolate in the brownies? Hershey’s Baking Melts. You can thank me later!
- Chocolate Cake Mix: I used a box of Dark Chocolate Cake Mix, but you can use any boxed chocolate cake you like.
- Oil: I use vegetable oil (or another neutral oil, like canola) in place of butter to give these brownies an ultra-tender texture.
- Milk: Whole milk or your preferred alternative. Note that different types of milk may give different results in the texture of the brownies.
- Egg: A single egg is enough to bind the ingredients together for these brownies.
- Chocolate Chunks: I used Hershey’s Baking Melts. If you can’t find melts, you can definitely stir some good-quality, semi-sweet chocolate chips instead.
How to Make Brownies from Cake Mix
These brownies are quick to make in about two steps (you heard right), with 5 ingredients and one bowl. Here’s how to make moist, fudgy cake mix brownies:
- Combine the Ingredients: Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Next, stir in your chocolate chunks of choice.
- Bake: Spread the brownie batter into a greased baking pan. Bake the brownies for about 20 minutes, and then leave them to cool before cutting them into squares. It’s as simple as that!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
This cake mix brownies recipe is practically fail-proof in every sense of the word! Still, baking is a science, and there are a few things to keep in mind when making perfect brownies (with a shortcut or not):
- Use the right pan. This recipe calls for an 8×8 inch baking pan. For best results, I wouldn’t recommend making these in any other size. Also note the kind of pan you use: a metal pan will lead to brownies with more crispy edges, while a clear dish may need a few minutes of extra baking time. Keep an eye while you’re baking!
- Don’t overbake. Overbaking chocolate brownies can lead to dense, chewy, tough brownies that are dry in the middle. To check if your brownies are done, insert a toothpick about 1-2 inches from the edge of the pan (not the middle). If the toothpick comes out clean with a few crumbs, those brownies are ready.
- Let the brownies cool completely. The center of the brownies may seem a bit underdone when the pan comes out of the oven. However, the brownies will set up as they cool down. Make sure to allow enough time for the brownies to cool completely before you cut them.
Add-In and Variation Ideas
Like many brownie recipes, this version leaves loads of room for customizing! Here are just some possibilities for add-in ideas:
- Nuts: Add crushed nuts like peanuts, roasted hazelnuts, pecans, or walnuts to the mix.
- Marshmallows: Give your brownies s’mores vibes and stir mini marshmallows into the batter. Or, top them with marshmallow creme and a sprinkle of graham crackers.
- Different Chocolate Chips: In place of Hershey’s Baking Melts, add regular chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or toffee pieces.
- Dried Fruit: Add in dried cranberries, apricots, or pineapple chunks.
- Candy: M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, or another bite-sized candy (or chop up your favorite candy bars to add in!). For a holiday spin, stir in crushed candy canes.
These cake mix brownies are amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Plus, you can add a dollop of whipped cream or drizzle of Hot Fudge Sauce to really take things over the top. I also like to dust my fudgy brownies with a bit of powdered sugar, just ‘cause.
You can also serve these brownies drizzled with Caramel Sauce or Dulce De Leche. Or, top your brownies with berry coulis or Easy Homemade Strawberry Syrup. For an extra indulgent chocolate dessert, try frosting them with Chocolate Frosting or a simple Buttercream Frosting!
How to Store Homemade Brownies
Store your cake mix brownies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
Can I Freeze Cake Mix Brownies?
Yes! These brownies can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. Once they’ve cooled completely, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag (I like to use parchment paper to separate the layers) and place them in the freezer for safekeeping. Thaw the brownies at room temperature before serving. You can even pop them in the microwave once they’ve defrosted, for an exceptionally gooey chocolate treat!
This easiest-ever Cake Mix Brownies recipe is super fudgy, ultra-moist, and the perfect excuse to make homemade brownies every week!
- 1 (15- ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 10 ounces chocolate chunks (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, vegetable oil, milk, and egg with a rubber spatula until combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely int he pan before cutting into squares. The center might seem underdone, but as the brownies set, they will be fine!
store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 29.1 mg
- Fat: 9.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.8 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 12.4 mg
Keywords: cake mix brownies, easy brownie recipe, homemade brownies
Want To Save This Recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
More Must-Try Cake Mix Recipes
PIN for later: