Dublin Coddle (Irish Sausage and Potato Stew)
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes Servings: 6
An Irish style stew with sausage, bacon and potatoes.
- 6 ounces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 cups beef broth (or chicken broth)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the sausage and brown on all sides before setting aside.
- Add the onion to the saucepan and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle the potatoes on top of the onions, followed by the bacon, sausage and the broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours. (Option: Transfer the pot to a preheated 350F/180C oven and roast, covered, for 2 hours. OR Transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, mix in the parsley and enjoy!
Option: Add 2 carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces.
Option: Add 2 cups sliced cabbage.
Option: Add 1/2 cup barley and 1 1/2 cups broth!
Option: Add 2 bay leaves.
Option: Add 1 teaspoon thyme.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
Option: Add 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce.
Option: Replace some or all of the broth with Irish stout or beer.
Tip: Serve with Irish soda bread